Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Writing on the Facebook Wall, Emo Internet Poetry, and Much More!

I really don't think there was one outstanding moment of my early child or angsty teen years that said, "I should be an artist. No, wait... I should be a writer!" It just always was. Writing came as naturally as watching Rugrats, just turn it on and zone out into another world entirely. Or maybe it is the glaring fact that I am an only child, that I should be predisposed to making up friends. Who knows...

At fourteen I poured my "misunderstood" soul into a website that posts poetry. That was 2005 and four years later I have 333 poems. This has been the one consistent thing in my life, the one thing I've always stuck to and never given up on. I'm scared that one day the site will be shut down and my memories and depiction of my wonder years will be lost to the black hole of cyberspace to make room for a Twilight saga fansite or something equally disastorous.

I kept a diary for awhile, writing whenever the urge was biting and to somehow make sense of social situations that at thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen made the 2nd coming of Christ mere child's play. Since then I lost that spiral pink notebook with the magnificent white horse galloping in brown fields on the cover to the malicious mouth of my messy bedroom.

Upon losing my diary, I found greater salvation: Creative Writing class my sophmore year in high school. My teacher was the perfect image of Writer: apathetic with a discreet IV bag under her desk that intravenously fed her coffee, the stench of cigarettes, always waiting for her "big break"... smoking or non. Harty har har. Anyway, after submitting mediocre poetry, I wrote a prose about a girl's memories of her sister who was moving away. On my paper, she wrote in red pen that i had "it." At the end of class, I asked what "it" was. She told me that I had what couldn't be taught in a writer.

Maybe that actually was my moment mentioned earlier in this post, but from then on I wrote fiction (yet still use poetry religiously.) I have accounts on fanfiction.com and fictionpress.com, the first website for stories using characters from books, video games, television shows, etc. and the second from my own creation. I wrote for the Prism Literary Magazine my sophmore, junior, and senior year. I became the Creative Writing Club President senior year, hosting Open Mic Nites and blah blah blah.

Now mostly my writing consists of journaling, posting poetry on that same ol' site, working on a fictional story of a young drug addict, lurking, posting, and victimizing my friends' Facebook walls, texting, e-mailing, and jotting down endless notes in college. Each of these genres has expanded my writing style into many forms, especially since my audience usually comes down to the known and unknown. And because this medium is electronic and my audience is my English class, I hope that my tone is affecting my stance which is:

Writing is simply who I am and how I get through the day. The End.

p.s. Now how's THAT for relating my history with rhetorical situations? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment